Thursday, September 25, 2008

-Inspiration and Eel Sauce-


Yesterday I had the privilege of having lunch with a friend and a legend; Mike Colon. Mike and I met around two years ago. He was hosting one of his famous workshops and I was helping out by modeling for his students. At that point, I was just merely fascinated by photography, I never thought I'd go after it myself! It's amazing how God has a way of working in peoples hearts, and since then has changed mine. And thus, there I was...sitting at a sushi bar and munching down some spicy tuna with one of the greats. 



We talked about where we were now...and where I wanted to be 5 or 10 years from now. He looked over my goals and asked in detail how I planned to get there. We talked about the steps I'd need to take both now and in the months to come. Fighting his jet lag from the days previous, Mike encouraged me to just go after it! To not divide my time but rather focus on what I want to become and not settle for anything less! Starting out is always the hardest point. Your faith, confidence, and check book are all pushed beyond what you think is possible...but it shouldn't discourage. He can relate to my situation now, because he went through the exact things I'm facing now. The challenges, the reality, and the learning curve. But he encouraged me to take heart,

"It should light a fire! It should push you to be that much better, that much more determined to be an expert at what you do."

Phrases like these are what left me feeling full of determination (and shrimp tempura!). I can't wait to continue in this journey, striving to be the best at what I do. With help from such inspirational people like Mike, something tells me my education will be nothing short of amazing! 

Thank you, Mike, for your generosity, wisdom, and humble heart. I can't wait to attend your next workshop! I know where it's going to be...but not many others do just quite yet, so my lips are sealed! ;)  I can't wait!!

No comments: